2020 marks our organisation’s 40th anniversary. Celebrating 40 years of FERA in such a singular year feels like the perfect time to explore what it means to be a filmmaker in Europe today and to imagine an ambitious new vision for our future well beyond the ongoing crisis.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis, our General Assembly annual meeting has been transformed into an online webinar series set to take place every Tuesdays from October 6 to 20. In partnership with Cineuropa.
This page will be regularly updated with additional details and access links for each public webinar.
Tuesday October 6 – 15:00 to 17:00 CET
40 years of FERA: What makes a European Filmmaker in 2020?
As we celebrate 40 years of FERA and look at the evolution of European film culture, we explore what it means to be a European filmmaker in 2020: from pioneering stylistic and technological innovators, to motion picture miracle-workers?
European filmmakers are struggling to secure longer shooting time and to increase resources needed as production restarts in the shadow of COVID-19. We all know there has been no fat on budgets and schedules for some time already. How do we inspire our partners to infuse more creative space for directors in current production set-ups in order to meet the expectations of increasingly demanding audiences who crave visually sophisticated storytelling? How can we grow as creators in this “brave new future” ahead of us?
- Opening Keynote by former FERA Honorary President Liv Ullmann, Norwegian director, screenwriter and actress
- Renaud Bertrand, French director
- Isabel Coixet, Spanish director, FERA Ambassador and Europa Distribution President
- Klemen Dvornik, Slovenian director and FERA Chair of the board
- James Hawes, British director
- Teona Strugar Mitevska, Macedonian director
- Moderated by FERA board members Bill Anderson, British director & Birgitte Stærmose, Danish director
Tuesday October 13 – 17:00 to 19:00 CET
Doomsday or Rebirth? A rebellious take on European film’s future
While we celebrate 40 years of FERA and relish in European cinema glorious past, the ongoing crisis challenges us to bring forth a new vision for our future as filmmakers. How is European cinema going to survive the crisis? Will European films still be able to get financing?
A freeform discussion painting a doomsday scenario and its possible positive alternative – a vision-driven future for European film with, at its core, European co-productions and their visibility.
- Opening Keynote by former FERA Honorary President István Szabó, Hungarian director
- Marion Döring, European Film Academy Director
- Werner Herzog, German film director, screenwriter, actor, and opera director
- Agnieszka Holland, Polish director and FERA Honorary President
- Hrvoje Hribar, Croatian director and FERA board member
- Roberto Olla, Eurimages Executive Director
- Moderated by Domenico La Porta, Cineuropa Editor
Tuesday October 20 – 15:00 to 17:00 CET
FERA General Assembly Statutory Meeting
(Closed session for members only.)
FERA 40-year anniversary General Assembly poster available here.
September 24, 2020 Announcement Press Release available here.
October 1, 2020 Full programme and access details available here.