ARF/FDS tackles the gender issue at Swiss festival “Solothurner Filmtage”
FERA member ARF/FDS, FOCAL and Cinesuisse co-hosted “Facts & Figures – Gender ratio in the Swiss film funding” event during the “Solothurner Filmtage” film festival. This first gender discussion based on data proved to be a thought-stimulating success.
The main findings:
– The proportion of women in the field of directing, writing and producing is higher than the European average, but by far not as high as in Norway, Sweden and France.
– There is a significant decrease in the proportion of women from the development until the realization of a film. This means, the selection rate for projects proposed by women is lower than that of projects proposed by men.
– Movies that are realized by women tend to have a (much) lower budget than their male counterparts.
– Women receive proportionately less copyright compensation.
– Movies that were realized by women, made in recent years, sold proportionally more tickets at the box office than the films of their male colleagues.
More details available in German and in French here :
– Presentation : Gender presentation
– Podcast of presentation and following discussion :
ARF/FDS plans to publish detailed findings in English around summer 2015.